Over 100 people have signed a petition calling for Etsy’s board of directors and its investors to provide health insurance to some or all Etsy sellers, to improve employee benefits and severance policies, and to recommit to transparency and sustainable environmental policies.
In the past few years, Etsy went public, had a major leadership change, and recently experienced significant layoffs. With these changes, some Etsy employees are concerned about the seller community and that the company is losing touch with the values that had driven the company to its success.
The five point list of requests are:
- Draft a plan to provide health insurance to “some or all” of Etsy sellers
- Maintain Etsy’s 6-month parental leave policy
- Analyze projects that were shut down in the past year and communicate findings transparently
- Institute a standardized severance policy
- Recommit to “Etsy’s work towards building a sustainable future.”
Etsy sellers are invited to sign the petition as well.
A significant number of Freelancers Union members are Etsy sellers, and we’d like to hear from you. What has your experience with Etsy been, and what do you think of the petition?
Let us know in the comments section.