80% of small business owners expect 2014 to be better than 2013, according to a survey of nearly 1,000 small businesses by RocketLawyer.
The biggest concern of small business owners for 2014 is economic uncertainty. Despite this, more than a third of small businesses (37%) say they will hire in 2014. Of these, the majority will hire independent contractors -- more good news for permanent/long-term freelancers.
More results from the survey:
- 75% of small business owners say the ACA did not have a significant effect on hiring
- 40% say they plan to increase marketing presence in 2014 (Any small business marketers amongst us? This should be music to your ears.)
- Only 13% will develop new products or services
- Half of small businesses say they consulted with an attorney this year
- When asked what city is the best place to start a business, 63% said smaller cities are better for small business
- Small business owners say the technology industry (36%) and healthcare industry (27%) hold the greatest opportunities in 2014
Freelancers, have you seen an uptick in gigs from small businesses?