This is a post from a member of the Freelancers Union community. If you’re interested in sharing your expertise, your story, or some advice you think will help a fellow freelancer out, feel free to send your blog post to us here.
Freelancers: is your website shining a light on what makes you stand out?
As a freelancer, you most likely have a website.
It’s your portfolio, your marketing tool, your repository for all things work.
But is it working for you, or against you?
One quick glance at an outdated, murky home page with blurry images might turn a client off right away.
Allow your work to shine by adhering to these three rules:
Assure that your site is your white gallery.
- Your website should have lots of open white space to allow the visuals to speak for themselves. Don’t make it hard to see your work or make people click too much.
- High quality, large images and videos of your work are a must. Hire a photographer if you need to.
- Be sure everything is labeled properly. Give credit when due, provide size, materials, pricing and date information when needed.
- Considering making some case studies? Make sure they look amazing.
Join the Union (it's free!)
Don’t be a mystery.
- Future clients want to know who you are! Include a photo of yourself and write a compelling bio.
- Your name is your brand, so assure your URL is a clear, memorable domain name.
- Link to your professional social media accounts! People are more likely to remember you if they see an interesting Tweet or gorgeous Instagram shot.
- Make it easy to contact you.
- Be sure to keep blogs and social media accounts updated.
- At the very least, make sure your copyright is updated to the current year.
- Share your latest news! Toot your own horn!
- Make it easy for visitors to sign up for a mailing list, and send them a note!
Good luck with your websites, creative freelancers!
Get in touch with any questions and feel free to check out our bespoke services for creative entrepreneurs such as yourselves! Sign up for the Kind Aesthetic mailing list to get more tips and advice delivered straight to your inbox.
Kind Aesthetic is a creative agency run by Sara Jones and Andrea Wenglowskyj that works with artists, creative entrepreneurs, small businesses and organizations who need genuine storytelling and beautiful marketing materials that are fresh, exciting, and engage their audience.